The mission of Sasha Bruce Youthwork is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, and neglected at-risk youth and their families in the Washington area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year.
Serving a community where systems are broken, and young people and their families are struggling to overcome obstacles, SBY uses proven youth development practices to help youth find new ways of surviving, thriving, and realizing success. Now with over 40 years of experience meeting the needs of DC’s youth and families, with innovative programming and dedicated staff, Sasha Bruce Youthwork is always willing to listen, and always ready to help.
For more than four decades, our staff and board have been driven by a core set of values:
- We believe that clients have the solutions to the challenges they face and that we should provide tools, experiences and supports which help them reach their positive goals.
- We believe that to work with youth includes making every effort to work with their families as to strengthen and support families is to contribute to strong and healthy communities
- We believe that we must provide youth and families with services aimed at improving their relationships and with access to experiences that teach new skills and provide opportunities.
- As we recognize the value of creativity, dedication and passion within the agency staff and leadership, so we believe our staff must be able to grow, develop and be supported in order to assure services that are of high quality and are culturally competent
- We believe that we must continually work to assess and strengthen our practices and programs so that we are responsive and effective in serving our clients and to strive to improve our service impact and to fill unmet service needs when possible
- We believe that our work should not only contribute to the individuals and families we serve but that we should help youth and families develop capacity to advocate in their own behalf and that we should join with these efforts to create a more socially just world.
Through the leadership of our governing Board of Directors, we created and implemented a 4-Year Strategic Plan in 2015! Click on this link to read it: SBY Strategic Plan 2015-2019. Contact Danny Rico at 202-675-9340 x122 to learn about our success towards all of the Plan’s goals.